The two new franchises of IPL 9, Rising Pune vs Guajarat Lions, will do battle for the second time on Friday 29th of April 2016, and the Rising Pune Supergiants will be hoping to wreak revenge on the Gujarat Lions for their seven-wicket loss a matter of weeks ago.
Follow our match preview and analysis to select the best betting picks. Our own personal picks are below.
Match Odds & Game Preview
Rising Pune Super Giants
It’s been an indifferent start for the Supergiants, who – metaphorically – rose from the ashes of the old Pune Warriors franchise, but the good news is that they are still very much in the hunt for a top four finish.
They secured the first Duckworth-Lewis Method victory of IPL 9 last time out against the Sunrisers, although in truth that victory was set up by a phenomenal bowling display from debutant Ashok Dinda, Ravi Ashwin and Mitchell Marsh, who helped Pune restrict their opponents to a paltry 118/8.
That halted a four-match losing streak for MS Dhoni’s men, and now they will be hoping to move onwards and upwards; starting with this encounter against current table-toppers Gujarat Lions.
*Need to learn cricket odds? Become a pro and seek value in all your bet picks.
The Lions have roared to victory in five of their six matches to date, although how they did so against the Delhi Daredevils last time out is anybody’s guess. Needing 14 to win off the last over, the Daredevils were kept in the hunt by Chris Morris – notwithstanding some fine death bowling from Dwayne Bravo. But a dropped catch from James Faulkner and mis-fields from Ravi Jadeja and Dinesh Karthik meant that the Lions crept home with a whimper by a single run.
But that is a little harsh on the new franchise, who have triumphed with reasonable ease in their five wins to date. Indeed, Match 19 – when they chased down RCB’s formidable 180/2 – was a real marker of what they hope to achieve in this competition.
Stats to Keep in mind
- The two matches played at the Maharashtra Cricket Association’s International Stadium to date have been high-scoring affairs.
- Looking at the make-up of the two sides that perhaps appeals more to the Lions, who have one of the most destructive top orders in the tournament and the betting community thins the same .
- Add the fact that Pune have lost both their outings on home soil thus far, and we can happily add the Gujarat Lions to our betslips at a best price of 1.90 with bet365.
Top Batsmen Betting Picks
Oh to be a Gujarat Lions supporter. Just take a look at the batting options at their disposal: Dwayne Smith, Aaron Finch, Brendon McCullum, Suresh Raina, Karthik, Bravo, James Faulkner etc. They are capable of hitting 160+ each time they take to the field, and have a flexibility about them which ensures they can customise their batting order to fit the unique match situation.
Finch has been their main man thus far with 191 runs at an average of 63.66, but recently he has been dislodged at the top of the order by Smith, who has whacked 32 and 52 in his two innings to date.
Mind you, The Supergiants aren’t shy of an early wicket – they’ve dislodged David Warner, Robin Uthappa and Lokesh Rahul for 0, 0 and 7 respectively in recent times.
Batsmen Betting Pick
- So backing the Lions’ Suresh Raina, who bats at three, to top score for his side at 4.25 with 888sport looks a smart investment.
* Cricket betting Do´s and Don´ts, why you can win even more money.
Rising Pune Super Giants
For Pune, both Ajinkya Rahane and Faf du Plessis have played a decent hand, and Rahane in particular seems to enjoy playing on his home track: he’s scored 60 and 67 in his two matches on this ground thus far.
- Let’s back Ajinkya Rahane to top score once again at 2.85 with bet365.
1 More Betting Pick for Pune Supergiants vs Guajarat Lions
Clearing the rope has been a feature of the two matches played at Pune’s home to date: 25 have been bludgeoned, which is an average of 12.50 per match.
- Surprisingly, bet365 have set the Sixes line at 10 & Over or 9 & Under, so needless to say we will be supporting 10 & Over at 1.72.
In The News…
 thehindu.com, Odds in Favor of Guajarat Lions, 2016