We reach the 21st game of IPL9 and this is already a ‘must win’ for both of these teams. Kings XI have just two points from their opening five matches and a loss here would surely end their hopes of a play off slot while Mumbai are suffering from another slow start.
A number of big-name overseas players need to fire on both sides but who will take a vital victory in Mohali on Monday April 25?
Match Betting – Game Preview
It’s Sunday and both teams have only just played so the bookies are a little slow to react but there are some interesting prices in this result market.
- Mumbai are ahead as you would expect but they look a little too short at 1.57 with Bet365.
- That figure leaves Kings XI as the outside punt at 2.37 with Bet365 again.
Not every game is going with the chase side now, but I think the toss will be important on Monday. Ultimately it comes down to two underperforming sides and either one could suddenly raise their game and take the points. I’m not really comfortable with those prices but if I had to stake I would go with Mumbai, simply because they have been more consistent.
*How to use mobile betting for IPL cricket in India, all you should know.
Top Batsmen Betting Picks
When I say underperforming I’m pointing to David Miller and Glen Maxwell in that Kings XI camp. Miller looks to have suffered from taking on the captaincy and I would also like to see him come in much lower down while Maxwell just isn’t living up to the hype that comes with the ‘Big Show’.
Both men are listed at 6.00 with Bet365 to top score for Kings and there is some value in that as they will surely deliver at some point. A safer bet would be to go with Shaun Marsh who is the only batter showing any consistent form. Marsh is at 3.60 with Bet365 with Murali Vijay following on at 4.00 with Bet365 again. *Checkout his player profile and present stats .
Over at Mumbai Indians, Rohit Sharma is a long way in front at 3.00 with Bet365 while Martin Guptill – who missed the game against Delhi – is quoted at 4.33 with Bet365. Parthiv Patel at 4.75 with Bet365 and Jos Buttler at 6.00 with Bet365 are other options here.
I would go for Guptill here if he is included and I hope that IPL9 gets to see some of his best power hitting. The Kiwi has broken records in international limited overs cricket this season and he could be key to Mumbai progressing into the play offs.
- With side markets so slow to come in it’s hard to find any decent options, but I will be betting on KXIP to hit the most sixes. They have some devastating hitters in their line up and if they finally find some form, a price of 2.50 with Bet365 will look very good indeed.
- Alternatively you can take Mumbai at 1.80 or the tie at 7.00 – both of those are with Bet365 again.
- The result is a tough one and for me it’s much closer than the market indicates. Yes Kings XI have been poor but it only takes one big knock from Miller, Vijay or Maxwell and they’re beyond 200 and out of sight.
- The toss could also be important and I would prefer to go with the chasing side on a difficult surface but overall you would have to look to Mumbai who have been the better of the two teams. Having Martin Guptill in their starting XI would also make things clearer as I think the Kiwi is ready to make a huge contribution for the defending champions.
*Always making the same straight bet? Learn the different types of cricket bets.
 espncricinfo.com, Shaun Marsh Player Profile, 2016